John LOUGH (aka John Locke) was born Berwick Upon Tweed in Northumberland, England c. 1797. His future wife, Christian Jean GORDON (aka Christina), was born to John GORDON and Christian BARRON in Carnwath, Lanarkshire, Scotland on 29 Sep 1800
On 15 Oct 1821, after the proclamation of banns, they were married by the Rev.d Dr. Dickson in South Leith, Midlothian, Scotland where they were both living there at the time. Christian was the daughter of John Gordon, late Officer in Leven. John gave his occupation as a sailor.
They had at least the following children children:
1. John b. August 25, 1822 Leven, Scoonie, Fife, Scotland
2. unknown son
3. William b.1828 (Edinburgh, Scotland)
4. Elizabeth b.1829 (Edinburgh, Scotland)
5. Thomas b. 1834 (Edinburgh, Scotland)
1. JOHN LOUGH AND JESSIE LAIRD (Janet)
John married Jessie on December 29, 1844 in Edinburgh, Scotland.
He died d. at his home at 15 William St Edinburgh on 22 August, 1887. Jessie died at William St on 3 May 1893. John had a little business of chimney sweeping/slating, and (from memory) employed between 4 to 10 men. [from census]
They had at least 8 children all born in Edinburgh, as follows:
Christian b. October 23, 1845
John b. June 16, 1847
Isabella b. June 03, 1849
William b. February 21, 1851 married Jessie STEEL in Edinburgh on June 27, 1873 and had at least one child, William, b. 1874 in Edinburgh.
James b. November 08, 1854 d. 1930 New Zealand
George Henry b. August 25, 1856
Helen Agnes b. August 25, 1856
Robert Roger b. May 6, 1858
2. WILLIAM LOUGH AND MARGARET PYE
William married Margaret Pye in the parsonage at Balmoral (Bryens Ck) in Victoria on November 15, 1855. Margaret had emigrated on the Sir Charles Napier on 19 Apr 1855 and William came as an exile on the Marion in 1848.
They had at least 7 as follows:
1. John b 1857 Harrow, Vic d. 1933 in Manly NSW
2. Elizabeth b 1859 Missionary Station near Colac in Vic. d. 1860
3. Harriett b 24.9.1860 Tullamarine
4. Christina b. 1862-4 d. 1922 Sawpit Swamp.
5. William David b. 1864 on Sea near Melbourne d.July 06, 1907 (Mount Victoria NSW)
6. George Robert Thompson (or Thomas) b 1866 East Charlton Vic
7. There was also another one
4, ELIZABETH LOUGH AND PHILLIP BOYD
Elizabeth and Phillip were married in Edinburgh on November 21, 1848.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
By 1841 John LOUGH was a chimney sweep living at No. 19 William St, Edinburgh with his wife Christian, and two sons youngest sons William, age 12, Thomas, age 7, together with and two journeymen chimney sweeps.
Ten years later in 1851 John, by now 53, is again giving his occupation as mariner. He is living with his wife Christian and son Thomas, who is working as a chimney sweep. His son William has been sent as a convict to NSW.
John died in Berwick Upon Tweed about 1858 and Christian died there in 1864.